[FoRK] Multitasking wishlist: Control of audio channel placement based on video source, sped up video

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Tue Oct 1 14:47:24 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

The original Yamaha sound bar did this quite well in open air -- n speakers
in front + a sub-woofer was very, very close to a complete 5+1 surround,
IIRC.  You needed a good microphone to tune it for the room, though.

> ..
> And all video players, including TiVo and imitations should have 1.25x,
> 1.5x, 1.75x, and 2x speed up options, with normalized sound. Ideally, speed
> should be variable based on action, pacing, and speech density.  You
> couldn't speed up House of Lies at all, or Newsroom, but most sitcoms would
> be comfortable at 2x.  I became addicted to 1.5x using VLC for Stanford
> MOOC classes.

Used this extensively when viewing one of our in-house courses -- nearly
all speakers worked best (for me) at 125%; one speaker was better at 150%
and one at about 80-90%.

I find this is more than just a timesaver; at the right speed, I tend to
pay attention better.  Too slow, and my mind drifts....

Ken