[FoRK] AngularJS — Superheroic JavaScript MVW Framework

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Oct 9 19:09:46 PDT 2013

Server side, I'm most interested in Node.js + js/node-java and/or nginx
+ C++.  Java server code is OK, and should be an option, but I'll
probably end up at C++ for anything very serious.

> Vaadin.

I will look into it!  GWT was always a cool idea, but too limited UI
wise in practice.  I'm still unclear with these Java->Javascript methods
whether offline mode etc. can be done.  I will probably limit myself to
methods that can produce a ChromeOS off-line app. Can Vaadin do that?
Sort of maybe:
https://vaadin.com/blog/-/blogs/offline-mode-in-vaadin-apps-absurd-joke-or-a-real-solution

There are a number of other interesting server-side Java frameworks that
could work with various front-ends.
Really, there is a lot to be said for keeping servers as RESTy,
transactional services that know nothing about UI.  You can always have
a separate web app that provides a low/no Javascript front end for those
services if necessary.

In my case, I need total flexibility to create radically original UI
mechanisms.  It is not always obvious which will give the most power and
the most flexibility while also being efficient, clean, and fun.

> On 10/9/2013 12:00 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
>> I see Angular and peers as basically the current generation of web
>> architecture. Rails+Backbone was best of breed in the last gen, PHP the
>> winner in the generation before that.

PHP was OK.  Facebook has apparently solved most of the performance
issues of it.  But it is hard to get excited about PHP for everything.
Got a close look at a well-built Rails project, but I just can't get
excited about it.  Language isn't more interesting than Javascript and
apparently can't really be efficient or scale like better choices.

>> My own choice among this group is MeteorJS. It has two advantages over
>> peers. One, integrated stack between client and server, so that you're

I have that bookmarked somewhere but had forgotten.  Thanks!