[FoRK] [DIYbio] An idea I am having that I want feedback on

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Oct 11 04:10:53 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from William Heath <wgheath at gmail.com> -----

Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 12:00:08 -1000
From: William Heath <wgheath at gmail.com>
To: diybio at googlegroups.com
Subject: [DIYbio] An idea I am having that I want feedback on

Hi All,

All my ideas on synthetic biology have been peculating in my head for
years.  As a computer scientist I never understood how best to get into
synthetic biology.  After years of studying this new engineering discipline
I have made a decision:

I don't really care about lab work

I thought I did but once I got all the petri dishes, cell cultures, fume
hoods etc... I realized I am just not a lab person.  What I really am is an
ensilico lab person as Drew Endy put it when he came to my Diybio group at
the Tech Shop.  He was desperate to get help with creating computer
programs to automate lab like processes/research that could then later be
tested in a real lab etc...  He said it is much quicker to do work with
computer programs then raw lab work.  Here is what I have learned about
synthetic biology computer programming needs:

*  Synbio has a great need to automate the research/hypothesis generation
of optimized gene expression of proteins
*  Synbio has a great need to automate comparative analysis of existing
genes/proteins/protein expression networks to create a desired protein
(kind of like how the malaria drug was developed)
*  3d protein analysis etc...

Anyway my idea is to create a website where synthetic biologists can submit
their programming needs and computer scientists can assist them.  I am
curious about the best way to create such a website to make it easier for
synthetic biologists to submit programming project requests/tasks.  What
input fields would help synthetic biologists enter in their programming
tasks/projects?  Do you feel such a site would as useful as I do?

-Tim BCSE, MSCS, MBA

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diybio at googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAAcUL6nfQw-ABy65O-1zG_KhS8%2Bq5t69kmiLdkb9Gqa8Ro5cMw%40mail.gmail.com.