[FoRK] Microsoft damage control spending flood?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Oct 29 15:27:49 PDT 2013

Since recent Apple announcements, including free OS/office apps and
details on new hardware, there have been conspicuous "Apple is
horrible", "Apple is unacceptable to business because..", "Apple is
really doomed now" articles.  The articles in praise of Apple are all
different have sometimes creative takes while the anti-Microsoft
articles sound like Microsoft talking points to me.  As I think I saw in
past eras (back when no tech journal would acknowledge that gcc existed
when comparing compilers even though all of us were using it), it
appears that Microsoft is in a spending spree of damage control.  This
time, it seems glaringly obvious who seem to be at least very friendly
to Microsoft.

As I've said before, Microsoft enjoys their operating system share at
Apple's pleasure.  I wonder at what penetration point of Android /
ChromeOS / Ubuntu / Firefox that Apple will support non-Apple hardware
via OSXL (MacOSX Linux Edition).  I claim OSXL as an operating system
trademark!

In the case below, they are pointing to a slight decrease in Apple
desktop hardware sales.  It seems obvious that everyone who didn't have
to purchase was waiting for new hardware to be released, for well over a
year in many cases.  We'll see what happens when the laptops and the Mac
Pro are available.  I am planning to buy at least a high end laptop and
as high end Mac Pro as I can when they are available...

http://www.infoworld.com/t/macbooks/the-mac-the-pc-its-all-downhill-here-229677?source=IFWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2013-10-29

Stephen