[FoRK] Surveillance as quality control

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 3 14:44:14 PST 2013

It looks okay for trashable packages as well as recyclable as long as you
collect both in the same area.  Or you need two units.

It's best for things used in discrete units: cans, jars, etc.  Not sure if
it solves the dreaded toilet paper problem unless you extrapolate usage
rates (N days after a M-roll package is distributed to the house
bathrooms); if not, you need to store one additional bulk unit because you
can't measure usage directly.

If you want to go towards complexity, RFIDs have been used for applications
like this since they can be easier to read from a short distance,  but were
limited in consumer application because they cost more than a few cents.

A kanban card system might be simpler and almost as effective -- put a
removable sticker on the last can of tomatoes or bottle of soda; train the
family to move the sticker to a list.  Ironically, Mr. Wikipedia says that
Toyota came up with kanban after analyzing how a supermarket works.

Ken Meltsner

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Greg Bolcer <gbolcer at gmail.com> wrote:

> He says "partner" instead of husband or wife which makes me think it's a
> commercial plant.  He's describing his own personal experience, but he
> marketizes his words.
>

> Greg
>
> On 12/3/2013 2:07 PM, Dave Long wrote:
>
>> Basket is relatively
>>> shallow and bar/2D codes are designed for top-reading so that you just
>>> pass
>>> the basket under a camera before packing the parts so the system can
>>> cross-check the items against the packing list
>>>

>> cf
>> http://hackaday.com/2013/11/23/oscar-updates-your-grocery-
>> list-from-the-trash/
>>
>> comments include speculation on applications of facial recognition...
>>
>> -Dave
>>
>> (In the far-off days before automation, there existed things called
>> "spouses" which could stereotypically be relied upon to provide
>> well-after-the-fact quality control)

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.