[FoRK] Surveillance as quality control

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Dec 3 15:30:58 PST 2013

On 12/2/13, 12:41 PM, Ken Meltsner wrote:
> Received an order from ifixit.com with a couple of items missing.  Customer
> service should take care of this without any problems; what was interesting
> was that the service rep "reviewed the video of my order being packed" to
> see that they were, in fact, not sent.
>
> This is after the fact so it's not properly quality control, but it is a
> natural consequence of cheap video recording, retrieval.  and storage. Old
> days, the recording and storage were relatively cheap if you gave up high
> resolution and worked with video tape, but the mechanics of retrieving a
> particular segment were time-consuming, and as a result, too expensive.  I
> do not know whether ifixit's system is fully indexed by order #, but that's
> certainly a logical way to do it.

Retail systems have traditionally had an available serial port streaming
transaction data.  Good video surveillance DVR systems will take a
serial stream per camera that is recorded and indexed along with the
video.  I've owned surveillance DVR systems that had that capability,
although I never got around to recognizing visitors and activities to
properly index the video.  Not that I didn't consider it.  ;-)  A weight
measuring welcome mat might be particularly effective and accurate at
discriminating family members and a few friends.  Height likewise.
Nowadays, face recognition and voice prints, plus cell phone
bluetooth/wifi signatures, if not geo-fencing location dongles.  Have a
few of those from UplinQ 2013 that I should be playing with.