[FoRK] Children and digital/computer medium

SK sk.list at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 06:05:33 PST 2013

Hi all,

Having two kids aged 3 and 1 I am increasingly getting anxious about the
right way to introduce them to electronic/computer medium.

My 3 year old (almost 4 actually) is already introduced to iPad but is
restricted to about 2 hours of screen time (TV/iPad) per week and never in
a bulk of more than 30 minutes. I did this more intuitively than through
any logical reasoning.

However, when I look at the road ahead, I am vexed by questions to which I
have no answers, questions like:

- what is the max screen time that is actually OK?
- is it OK to reduce this to zero (assuming my angels do not scream her
head off)
- what is the good age to expose them to a computer?
- what is a good age to explain concepts about computing?
- Is TV better or iPad better for allocated screen time:
big-screen/small-screen vs. sedative/involved balance
 and many more.

Does any of you know of good books/research/theories in this area? I would
appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,
skn