[FoRK] Children and digital/computer medium

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 6 06:20:10 PST 2013

I've no specific details.  But consider exposure to mouse & keyboard has
merit in that they'll need to use that in school.  So I'd lean more toward
using a traditional desktop setup over a tablet for at least some portion of
the time.

Meanwhile the new Xbox One is providing a fair bit of entertainment and
exercise with the Just Dance game.  Although, hearing the 5 year old repeat
the lyrics to a few of the songs is a bit worrisome...  The Forza driving
game is well beyond their ability and the Lego game does not have easy
enough ways to pause/resume (forcing use of 'save stations').  This poses
issues with ending game time.  Which is too bad, but time's up anyway.  The
latest Windows kid safety features do a decent job of managing curfews,
daily usage limits and filtering of both programs and web access.
Unfortunately those features haven't made it over to the Xbox, yet.

-Bill Kearney