[FoRK] Children and digital/computer medium

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Fri Dec 6 08:24:16 PST 2013

There is a theory that interactive time is better than passive time.
That argues for touch tables over TV.

There is also a theory that I subscribe to that games are actually
useful for developing mental problem solving skills.  When I was a kid
though, we had plenty of offline activities and not so much verticalized
and behavior optimized modifiers.

A good rule of thumb is the presence of any physical changes.  Sore
eyes, sore heads, sore fingers/thumbs, sore butts, sore attitudes--the
last is the most important.  Some slightly older kids get pouty and a
touch temperamental when they play too many games, watch too much tv, or
are focused on too singular of an app or content.

Greg