[FoRK] Children and digital/computer medium

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 6 08:25:19 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am curious why you want to impose limits. I expect using computers to
> drive the urge to learn to read, for example.

Because smart kids tend to become obsessed, and will ignore body signals to
eat, sleep, urinate, etc. when they are involved in an activity.  They
will, if you let them, work on a puzzle until they fall over unconscious,
puzzle piece still in hand.  And not just my kids: When we were looking at
a new gifted school, we were approached by a seven YO who proceeded to give
us a detailed lecture on dinosaurs.  At that moment, we realized we had
found the right school...

Ken Meltsner
--
After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.