[FoRK] Children and digital/computer medium

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Dec 6 16:21:37 PST 2013

Hi!

Preface: I am 30, British, don't have kids, although I parented my
little sister from 11 to 18 when I was 20-28. As I did, she stayed in
state school and went to college, but had a strong unschooling culture
at home. In loco parentis for my teenage sister, I tried to help her
learn to engage with problems and solve them for herself. Surely small
kids have different dynamics :-)

On 6 December 2013 11:25, Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am curious why you want to impose limits. I expect using computers to
>> drive the urge to learn to read, for example.
>
> Because smart kids tend to become obsessed, and will ignore body signals to
> eat, sleep, urinate, etc. when they are involved in an activity.

Kids ignore body signals. News at 11. :) Learning not to shit your
pants because that is much less fun than playing the game a few
minutes more is, I guess, an easy lesson to learn, even for small
children (who need to learn it when they are awake, and again but when
they are asleep, anyway.)

When I am busy working at my computer job, I lose weight because I
type more, eat less. Maybe if my parents had helped me learn not to do
that at a young age, the skill would be more automated and I would be
more healthy.

But saying '30 minutes a day at the weekends only, kid' as the parents
in the Atlantic article do, seems to be to me just avoiding the issue
rather than engaging it, and would do little to help kids learn how to
deal with it.

--
Cheers
Dave