[FoRK] Children and digital/computer medium

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 6 17:43:21 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> On 6 December 2013 11:25, Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am curious why you want to impose limits. I expect using computers to
> >> drive the urge to learn to read, for example.
> >
> > Because smart kids tend to become obsessed, and will ignore body signals
> > eat, sleep, urinate, etc. when they are involved in an activity.
>
> Kids ignore body signals. News at 11. :) Learning not to shit your
> pants because that is much less fun than playing the game a few
> minutes more is, I guess, an easy lesson to learn, even for small
> children (who need to learn it when they are awake, and again but when
> they are asleep, anyway.)

Trust me -- *not* always an easy or obvious lesson for a kid to learn, even
after repeated failures.

Some kids have an amazing ability to concentrate on tasks, even relatively
boring ones, to the exclusion of everything else.  It's not that unusual
for kids in grade school to have deeply embarrassing problems caused by
this ability.

Ken Meltsner

--

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.