[FoRK] Children and digital/computer medium

SK sk.list at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 22:14:06 PST 2013

While it seems like imposing limits is a good idea, my counter view point,
and the reason why I want to discuss this with a wider audience more
learned than me, is whether doing so will put the kids at a disadvantage
when it comes to mastering these technological advances. Technophobia is
not what I am after either.

For example, I have heard some of friends and family "brag" how good their
4 or 5 year olds are "at computers". This most likely means some form of
video games or simply navigating through the latest version of Microsoft
Windows system. I cringe and tell myself that this can't be the right way
to get kids started onto CS or computing in general. But then I ask myself,
more often now that I am a father, what is the right way - and I don't have
an answer!

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments.

-skn-