[FoRK] Children and digital/computer medium

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Dec 8 22:54:02 PST 2013

On 8 December 2013 22:14, SK <sk.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> I cringe and tell myself that this can't be the right way
> to get kids started onto CS or computing in general.

I agree. I think of computing is on a spectrum, roughtly like this -

math - computer science - software engineering - computing - scripting
- systems administration - power usage - general purpose usage - basic
literacy

- and its easy to hype general purpose in kids usage when one only has
basic literacy.

> But then I ask myself,
> more often now that I am a father, what is the right way - and I don't have
> an answer!

I suggest buying kits, rather than premade hardware, and playing with scripting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_%28programming_language%29

https://www.google.com/search?q=python+for+kids

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi