[FoRK] Ayn Rand-loving CEO destroys his empire

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Dec 16 14:35:53 PST 2013

On 12/16/13, 1:54 PM, Joseph S Barrera III wrote:
> On 12/16/2013 01:06 PM, Joseph S Barrera III wrote:
>> On 12/16/2013 12:04 AM, Stephen Williams quoted:
>>
>> > [...] as Sears’ physical stores became dilapidated and filthy.
>>
>> That process was well in progress by the 1970s.
>
> Just to expand... the Oakland store is a shit-hole and the Mountain View store was bulldozed several years ago and replaced with
> Yuppie Village housing and shops.
>
> http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Oakland-Sears-still-hasn-t-repaired-windows-5035945.php
>
> http://mountainview.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/groundbreaking-kicks-off-development-of-the-village-ad17efbe834
>
> - Joe

They mention Sears once, but Sears or something else seems to have been excised later in a couple places:

"A lot of us who have grown up not just here in Mountain View, but Los Altos, Sunnyvale have some very fond memories of the San
Antonio Shopping Center," said Oscar Garcia, president and CEO of the , who shared that he ate ice cream at the and shopped for baby
clothes at .

"We emphasize that people from Mountain View, Los Altos and Palo Alto will shop here and that it's not far from the corporate
offices of companies like ," said Matt Taylor, a retail broker.