[FoRK] Ayn Rand-loving CEO destroys his empire

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 16 15:32:22 PST 2013

> They squandered everything through poor management choices while JCP and
> Target continually refreshed and pivoted.

JCP is still a disaster, but Target stayed on top of things the entire time.

Sears, yeah, their in-store systems were/are a clusterfuck.  It was faster
for me on my 2G CDMA phone connection to browse their website than it was
for the clerks in the store on their registers.  This when I was looking to
buy a fridge but needed to know dimensions in order to fit through some
doorways.  They couldn't get me that little bit of info in the HOUR I spent
at the store... so I bought one elsewhere.  Their current website is worse,
too much of trying to integrate from all manner of other sites and not
enough focus on their own.  Amazon's done a MUCH better job of that.  About
the only thing Sears hasn't yet managed to screw up has been their parts
system.  Full parts lists and diagrams done pretty well.

Still, the in-store experience is terrible.  Combinations of lack of order
(not outright filth but not far above it), lackluster employee assistance
and what comes across as a very uncoordinated inventory.  I'm surprised they
haven't tanked already.

-Bill