[FoRK] parallelism Re: Welcome to the era of radical innovation

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Thu Jan 9 07:18:23 PST 2014

On Jan 9, 2014, at 1:12 AM, J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at jarbox.org> wrote:

> It may be a fundamental human problem. The HPC world has been in the same boat for years, and it is nominally their specialty. Mostly, HPC just papered over bad parallel software design with really expensive hardware. Fancy new architectures is the proverbial man looking under the streetlight for his lost keys.

I’ve been wondering about this. I’m starting to think the root of the problem may be the original von Neumann architecture, which was designed to impose serial programming on inherently parallel electronic circuits.

I’ve been fantasizing about what it would be like to program a “Golden Girls*” architecture…

— Ernie P.

* Since many old women is the opposite of von Neu mann…