[FoRK] computing in the sputnik era

Dave Long dave.long at bluewin.ch
Thu Jan 9 10:07:15 PST 2014

"introducing a new language for automatic programming"
http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/Remington_Rand/
Univac.Flowmatic.1957.102646140.pdf

on pp6-7 we have a comparison between the Flowmatic and traditional
approaches; I had not realized that practice of the time involved
manually annotating[0]  one's flowcharts[1].

-Dave

[0] cf "source maps"; you've come a long way, baby
[1] with what I presume from the generally-ascending pattern are the
core addresses; but even so the number seems strange in places:
remnants of patching? or oddities of ancient subroutine linkage?