[FoRK] pos POS malware ram scraper

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jan 16 14:13:54 PST 2014

On 1/16/14, 1:13 PM, Kim-Ee Yeoh wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 3:28 AM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
>> Therefore, I can say with authority that from the POS vendor to everyone
>> involved at Target that they are all idiots.
>
> You're absolutely right, Stephen.
>
> But are you effective?

I am seldom effective on projects that I am not on.

I'm not as effective as I want to be or should be, but I seem to get a few things done once in a while.  And there are perhaps only
a few people (and few types of people) who don't seem to enjoy working with me.  Which is not to say that a little calibration isn't
necessary sometimes.

In this case, where the entities involved had plenty of money and public information to get things right, the only respectable
response is to publicly mock their total failure.  This may goad other people to make better decisions, hire better people, and make
the world better.  So, as you can see, I'm performing a public service here.  ;-)

If I were working with Target et al, I'd be much more diplomatic and supportive.  But from here, I have to shout.

> There are very few people in American history more right than Ben Franklin.
> When young he was lucky to receive this letter from an old Quaker friend:
>
> "Ben, you are impossible. Your opinions have a slap in them for everyone
> who differs with you. They have become so offensive that nobody cares for
> them. Your friends find they enjoy themselves better when you are not
> around. You know so much that no man can tell you anything. Indeed, no man
> is going to try, for the effort would lead only to discomfort and hard
> work. So you are not likely ever to know any more than you do now, which is
> very little."

I am always learning and changing and I'm well aware of at least some of what I don't know.
But I appreciate the comparison to Ben Franklin!