[FoRK] pos POS malware ram scraper

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jan 16 17:25:21 PST 2014

Hi-res video camera watching the card slot + keypad?  Catch numbers on
the card most of the time, plus the pin.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/atmcamera.asp

What about attacking the data link?  I'm sure there was a pretty good
period of time where it was not very secure.  Now, it would be criminal
(almost) for that to be the case, but considering who is involved, I
wouldn't be too surprised:

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felten/hotel-minibar-keys-open-diebold-voting-machines/

Lock keys can be stolen and duplicated.  Anything physical can be
defeated in at least some circumstances.  Ruses of all kinds regularly work.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c9e_1387293823

It is easy to steal a little.  It should not be easy to scale up.

sdw