[FoRK] traffic analysis of legislation

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Thu Jan 30 19:15:58 PST 2014

I missed this talk (and you did, too), but the concept is fascinating

==================================

* Tracing the Flow of Policy Ideas in Legislatures: A Text Reuse Approach *

Dr. John Wilkerson
Professor & Director, Center from American Politics and Public Policy

Department of Political Science, University of Washington

12pm - 1pm, Tuesday, January 28

306 Meserve Hall

In the US Congress, only a very small proportion of bills become
law. The surviving bills may serve as vehicles for policy ideas
originating in other bills, but there is currently no reliable way
to learn when this occurs.  Using the legislative history of the
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) as our test bed,
we investigate text reuse methods as a means for tracing the progress
of policy ideas in legislation. We then investigate the inclusiveness
of the policy development process by examining whose policy ideas
were incorporated into the final version of the PPACA.

For Dr. Wilkerson's CV, as well as other information, please consult:
www.polisci.washington.edu/Directory/Faculty/Faculty/faculty_wilkerson.html
faculty.washington.edu/jwilker/MWPSA%202013%20-%20WilkersonStrampDashiel.pdf