[FoRK] Why is married filing separately even a thing? (in the US)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Sun Feb 9 14:13:15 PST 2014

On Feb 9, 2014, at 1:42 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III <joe at barrera.org> wrote:

> Each year I look at how much more my fiancee and I would pay in taxes if we were married, and it's always several thousand dollars more.
>
> (Offsetting that, our combined health insurance costs would be several thousand dollars less.)

At a growing number of companies, the health insurance policy allows you to semi-arbitrarily designate another person as covered. It is a generalization of the “domestic partner” allowances. It is like that where I work.

I know guys with excellent health insurance that is 100% paid for by the company that also have their girlfriends covered and paid for 100% by the company. No marriage necessary. The majority of companies still don’t work that way but, at least around here, it is gaining popularity. It is easier than trying to write policies that account for every edge case that will always look discriminatory with respect to benefits.