[FoRK] PSTN and regs

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Feb 9 23:35:58 PST 2014

Wired is failing in many places because of copper thieves.  Wired lines are more fragile and wireless overall.
Doesn't seem like fiber has the same fate, so rewiring everyone with fiber is the main alternative.  (I should have fiber to the
house in Sunnyvale in the next month or two!  We've been on fixed-wireless for a year while we waited.  Overall, it's been fine,
but it's no longer available to new customers after Sprint/Softbank finished purchasing Clear.)

Run enough concentrated power and you can punch through anything. Use a line of sight laser if you have to.  A highly
directional phase-based antenna with huge dynamic range would solve this. Phased array picocasting is something like this.

Stephen