[FoRK] Why is married filing separately even a thing? (in the US)

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Tue Feb 18 10:16:20 PST 2014

Stephen Williams wrote on 2/9/2014 6:20 PM:
> I've checked several times over the last 17-18years: it would have cost
> us >$10,000 in extra yearly taxes to be married.
>  The marriage penalty was high for us as we
> were both employed the whole time and until recently we were both head
> of household.

Ah, see you're doing it wrong, you should both be married to people who
make a lot less than you do. In which case, the tax savings vary between
"WTF" and "how the hell is this even fair".

In general, where one spouse makes more (i.e. one is home raising the
kids), the tax savings for being married are obscene. Another wealth
transfer from the young and single to the old and married - it's like
that on purpose.

This suggests a scheme where rich couples and poor couples swap legal
partners, and split the substantial tax savings. This is probably why
poly marriages are not allowed, everyone in the country would save about
1/3 on their taxes.

Republicans should be protesting that the tax law is forcing all the
rich old men to marry poor young women.

--
Adam L. Beberg