[FoRK] One-Percent Jokes and Plutocrats in Drag: What I Saw When I Crashed a Wall Street Secret Society

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Feb 20 16:34:16 PST 2014

Not surprising.  Not that big of a deal anyway, other than reinforcing
stereotypes and mutual disdain.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/02/i-crashed-a-wall-street-secret-society.html

I just can't get into in making money in banking / finance. Creative
ventures are infinitely more interesting and feel equally more
interesting.  While a functioning and efficient financial industry is
essential, it should be just that: efficient, not maximizing skimming
from other sectors while being in charge of what are essentially
executive decisions.  Maybe what we have is the most efficient system
(so far); it just doesn't feel like it lately.  It is too easy to see as
gambling for their profit and everyone else's expense while charging
richly on every transaction along the way.  I suspect that things like
Kickstarter, Fundable, et al are kicking Wall Street's butt on some
level even if they are starting comparatively small.