[FoRK] Niklaus Wirth 80th Birthday Symposium

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Feb 20 16:50:13 PST 2014

On 2/20/14, 11:11 AM, Dave Long wrote:
> Congratulations to the ETHZ for putting together a great program to
> celebrate Niklaus Wirth (call by name? or call by value?)'s birthday.

But did he apologize for Pascal yet?  In particular: lack of
shortcutting of expressions, magic IO (a la Basic) rather than proper
library interface mechanisms like C, and no varargs.

The main good thing I can say about Pascal: It was better than Basic.

Otherwise, countless hours were wasted that could have better been spent
on C (and later C++).
I started my long career of winning technical arguments (sooner or
later) in my first real development job, doing research machine control
development at GE Lighting in 1984.  My EE lead simply loved Pascal MT+,
which while it had C-like additions for low-level access, somewhat in
contrast to Turbo Pascal perhaps, was also very buggy.  I found at least
7 compiler bugs on the first project.  I was arguing for C the whole
time, periodically cursing Wirth.  In one of my only 3 undergraduate
classes I ever took, the TA was learning Pascal as he was teaching us.
Kind of underwhelming but at least I narrowly escaped punched card
Fortran which was still a mainstay at universities still but completely
absent at GE Lighting Labs at NELA Park.

I developed for my project on MP/M 8/16 while using a DRDOS PC and
playing with C, sh, etc. on a Perkin Elmer larger mini / mainframe and
another mini, after not much fun on our Vaxes.  Emacs, too.  It was so
obvious where things would end up even then.