[FoRK] Dunning-Kruger effect discriminatory environs

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Feb 27 12:30:00 PST 2014

Triggered thinking of this by the following comment:
http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2013/08/08/microsofts-mobile-strategy.aspx
> Fred G. Vader
> <http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2013/08/08/microsofts-mobile-strategy.aspx#>
> . 7 months ago
> <http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2013/08/08/microsofts-mobile-strategy.aspx#comment-999316131>
>

> So I just read the re-org memo that is linked to in the article and I
> am just dumbfounded. It has taken all of the idiotic mistakes
> mentioned in the above article and the numerous ones not mentioned
> (i.e. zune, kin 1 and 2, WP7/8's abysmal 3% market share, stupid metro
> design which is not catching on and all other idiotic MS undertakings
> that I can't think of right now) - it has taken all of this for
> Ballmer and company to stop and realize that - "hey do you think the
> company should be working toward one overall strategy in a unified
> effort?"
>
> Really guys - really??? How in the world was this strategy not enacted
> back in 2007 when the iPhone debuted and mobile suddenly begin to
> skyrocket. Why has it taken so many failures and a nearly billion
> dollar write-off for MS execs to realize the most simplest foundation
> principle of corporate strategies? This is just unbelievable!
>
> I've always thought that there are more high level execs suffering
> from the Dunning-Kruger effect than we'll ever truly realize!
> Unfortunately in the corporate and political world we tend to reward
> and promote those who display assertiveness and boldness and not the
> competent.
>
> "The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the
> stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt." -
> Bertrand Russell

In what mediums, venues, groups, and activities would individuals be
most or least likely to overcome the Dunning-Kruger effect?

In the past, I think FoRK has been good for this.  I suspect Google and
Apple are high fidelity with clear feedback.

It seems likely that banking and finance are full of the opposite
dynamic.  It is almost certainly a prime factor in good governments vs.
bad.  Some friends who are ex-Microsoft indicate a severe problem there,
at least at certain levels.

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net stephendwilliams at gmail.com
V:650-450-8649(UNIX) V:866.SDW.UNIX V:703.371.9362 F:703.995.0407
Skype:StephenDWilliams Resume:http://sdw.st/gres
http://sdw.st FB:sdwlig twitter:scienteer LinkedIn:http://sdw.st/in