[FoRK] Dunning-Kruger effect discriminatory environs

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Thu Feb 27 18:28:47 PST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> With things like Docker, there's no excuse for dealing with any nonsense
> at all at the level of the operating system, database, or any standard
> service.  Except for ignorance friction, the Windows ecosystem now has
> negative value in most situations.
>
> https://www.docker.io/
>
>> Docker is an open-source project to easily create lightweight, portable,
>> self-sufficient containers from any application. The same container that a
>> developer builds and tests on a laptop can run at scale, in production, on
>> VMs, bare metal, OpenStack clusters, public clouds and more. |docker run -i
>> -t ubuntu /bin/bash|
>>

> Within a year or so, we'll have public recipes on Github and similar that
> will allow us to instantiate a full system / site infrastructure in a
> single command.  Anyone will be able to fork, improve, and checkin
> improvements.  Replicate data, then simply invoke and reload to recover
> from any failure.
>
> Screwing around with endless installs, downloads, device drivers, updates,
> GUI menus and checkboxes, license codes, etc. is going to be an exorbitant
> indulgence, like buying a ridiculous mainframe to do payroll.  The bonus is
> we'll really know which companies are run by people who can't evolve now
> that VB has fully faded.  ;-)

It's really hard to wean people off Windows.  I certainly agree that may
well change the game since I've been coping with exactly the sort of
problems described.  I'm a bit skeptical because I've seen reduced OS and
other containers come and go before =-- is this Posix 2014?

Also, it's hard to wean people off full-featured OS environments, and even
harder to wean most corporate IT staff off of Windows.

Ken Meltsner