[FoRK] Dunning-Kruger effect discriminatory environs

Mark Day mark_s_day at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 28 04:37:23 PST 2014

My recent (2 weeks ago) experience of trying to run OS X on OS X via VMware Fusion was pretty dreadful.  Hard to figure out what to do, hard to figure out why stuff broke, eventually concluded some of the limitations were fatal for my plans. I was surprised because I had spent at least a couple of years previously using a Windows 7 VM on Fusion on OS X as my primary work "machine," and it pretty much always "just worked."

Not sure whether the underlying problem for my use case is lack of commercial demand or Apple paranoia, but the "easy" experience seemed highly biased in favor of the specific case of Windows-on-Mac, not virtualization-as-good-thing.

--Mark

 From: Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net>

??  Apple doesn't mind VMs anymore as far as I can tell, as long as you run them on Apple hardware. VMWare Fusion explicitly
supports easy VM install.
Now, running it elsewhere will take a little jumping through hoops for now...

Stephen