[FoRK] The Future of Desktops, Re: Dunning-Kruger effect discriminatory environs

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Sat Mar 1 02:59:05 PST 2014

On 1 Mar 2014, at 06:31, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> OSX users have no need for this, except perhaps to have a wider choice of hardware to use.

What hardware did you have in mind? Apple today support the standard set of Intel silicon that surrounds their cores, plus a few Broadcom Wifi chipsets, etc. What else does an average user need?

> This is for Windows and Linux users to get a reasonable desktop OS that has more complete than Linux commercial app support.

Why would Apple care about this? They have a solution - it’s called “buy a Mac”. Why get involved in anything else?

[ObDisclosure: I’m a disgruntled Apple hardware/software user. Disgruntled because I don’t see a valid option in the market for a set of handset, tablet and laptop hardware and software that is well made and usefully integrated, and I don’t like feeling trapped. I would be happier using a more open solution, but can’t find one that works (10+ that don’t, of course).]