[FoRK] The Future of Desktops, Re: Dunning-Kruger effect discriminatory environs

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Sat Mar 1 12:08:17 PST 2014

> As someone who has ported an Ada83 tasking runtime to Irix, MachOS,
> AIX, BSD, SunOS, Solaris, HP-UX, and NeXTOS, I apologize.

OK, so I'm going to hijack this thread (so to speak) because I'm curious
about what ittook to do that port.

I implemented Concurrent C (C with Ada tasking), first using the
inter-process mutexes and shared memory in Sequent's Dynix, and then
using pipes (?!) and no shared memory on BSD. What did your
implementions look like? Did BSD have threads at that point? Did POSIX
threads exist on all the systems you ported to?

- Joe