[FoRK] The Future of Desktops

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Sun Mar 2 08:39:18 PST 2014

Agreed though....  Nividia has two break through technologies that
reduced that difference.  That technique is fast-eliminating the types
of apps that don't work well for client render.

The first is the grid, the second is g-sync.  The first is a
coordinative system with two GPUs at each end that speak a special
condensed protocol that can sync between a remote server and some
bandwidth varied internet connected client PC.  The second is the GPU in
your PC talking across an HDMI cable or wifi to a GPU in either a gaming
client or the monitor using the same trick.

On a completely different subject, I was the founder of a company that
made a remote application streaming service.  You could run a 400 Meg
Microsoft Office, or 1.2Gig Adobe Creative Suite and start using it in
under 60 seconds on a client as we tricked it into thinking it was
completely installed on a lan or wifi connection.  The bits would also
get cached (and remote provisioned if you wanted). The biggest sales
issue we had was educating people that the apps were actually running
native on the system and were identical to having them locally installed
at a time when everyone else was educating the market about remote
display access.

Greg