[FoRK] The Future of Desktops

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Mar 2 16:40:17 PST 2014

Unix demand pages executables.  NFS mounting a remote server would provide similar partial download. Coupled with NFS read caching,
it would also speed up future runs.  The security and licensing and other management is nice.

http://www.badros.com/greg/papers/linux-nfs-caching-client.pdf

Just to confuse things, their tablet story is:
http://www.numecent.com/technology/cloudpaging.html
  Cloudpaging to tablets -- platform shifting

We have an unusual way of cloudpaging to tablets - we borrow a local PC as a GPU server and then 'pixel stream' to your tablet over
WiFi at 60Hz. We even incorporate 'gesture virtualization' so that you can interact with these applications using familiar touch
gestures. These gestures are determined during the cloudification stage and stored as part of the meta-data associated with the
cloudified application.

sdw