[FoRK] laptop repair in the bay area?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Mar 8 12:01:40 PST 2014

This is a nice, complete unit that ships with Ubuntu, has a full recovery partition to start over, and has everything but the
monitor builtin.  Low end atom processor, but fanless, low power, and comes with a back of the monitor mount.  Add a wget/curl
accessible script that updates the system, installs the right packages, configures network and users, and restores data from
Ubuntu One or Drive or SparkleShare etc., and you'd have a 3 or 4 step remote recovery solution with practically zero maintenance.

I'm using that unit as a high density closet mobile device network adapter for testing or development, which can also be a Linux
dev box for those working on Windows or for the few things that OSX isn't as nice as Linux for.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DM1BHZQ
http://www.excaliberpc.com/626737/asus-eee-box-eb1030-b003l-linux.html#TabDescription

Lately, I've found that sshfs is easier to use for simultaneous multi-system development than NFS/SMB as it allows me to ignore
the problem of UID synchronization.  Also, given ssh access, there's nothing else to set up on the server.  That way I can build
on 8 or 20 core Linux or OSX systems, then push / log / debug the binaries locally / from Linux.

I haven't run a GL test on it yet.  Apparently this 1-2 year old chip has a PowerVR engine.