[FoRK] summary of recent important developments (ultra-compressed, random)

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 21:19:33 PDT 2014

First off, great list. Much to look into.

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:41 PM, Kragen Javier Sitaker <
kragen at canonical.org> wrote:

> - The free software movement has died.

I am suspicious of death notices. I think maybe the relevance of it has
become more niche with the mainstreaming/massmarket  meme for tech being "I
Do Not Care Just make it Work Without Me Thinking And Make Me Feel Good
About My Brand Decisions With A Warm Hug Of Belonging" .  Everyone wants to
belong now ...dontcha think. Oi

> - There's still no decent text chat system.

Funnily enough I am helping a friend play around with BitMessage. I am
still not sold on its methods and there is still a little matter of a
security audit to deal with...but hey its a fun thing to muck about with
making an android app over.

I do not know if it is my encroaching old agedness or if it just me having
lived out here in the fields for as long as I have ...but it does feel like
I am at the point of WTFeva when it comes to clean, secure and nonfraked up
chat methods. Much of my old chat  camp has set up shop on FB, which I am
ever more moving away from , such that the old Mindvox irc chan that has
been up since 92 is now a place holder for ghosted connection and the
occasional "Hey anyone not a bot here?" conversation starters.  Mostly
grouching bitching I am sure, the kids today seem more than able to chat at
will.

> - ARM shipped 1.5 CPUs per living human being last year

I get a big laugh every time I muck about with my growing army of RPis and
Arduinos . I recently had the chance to sift thru my Dad's collection of
ZX81 cassets and books. From there to this...as much as watching the net
turn into Mallistan makes me grouchy mucking with these things makes me
happy.

Something I would add to a list like the one you crafted....
-Online education is at an all time high both in quality and quantity...is
this resulting in better educated kids or simply adding heft to tomorrows
nostalgic meanderings.

-tom(as for machine learning...for many years now I have been wishing Yes
Please but more often than not wondering where my jet pack is.)higgins