[FoRK] Docker 1.0 was Re: OSX VMs/backup, Re: Dunning-Kruger effect discriminatory environs

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 11 10:37:14 PDT 2014

I think we're being set up for a false dichotomy between configuration
management systems like Ansible and Docker:

https://devopsu.com/blog/docker-misconceptions/

The CMS approach is top-down -- you get the right artifact by
following a recipe from known inputs.

If I understand all of this, the Docker approach says the controlled
artifact is whatever has been created after a VM has been set up,
configured, and possibly run in whatever way you want.  It's more
bottom-up.

The two approaches are complementary, but given what I've seen of
corporate practice, the bottom-up approach is more common right now.
Top-down, you have to understand and plan for all of the
configuration/installation steps that will result in a working system.
Bottom-up says that however you get it working, that's the configured
item that you work with.

Ken Meltsner

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm intrigued.
>
> My team follows 12-Factor guidelines to deploy on Heroku production and
> staging servers, as well as developer boxes. This has been a win. I see
> Docker as a generalization of that kind of thinking.
>

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm skeptical. I run Linux, Windows, OSX both natively and virtually.  I
>> believe commercial production software should be ran as close to the target
>> production native OS as possible.
>>
>> Greg
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm not the only one who thinks Docker is great.  As soon as I saw Docker
>> > I was sold.  Interesting how when I suggest it to others sometimes they
>> are
>> > very skeptical.  It is a good opportunity to detect who is ruled by a
>> herd
>> > mentality of following accepted paths vs. those who can examine something
>> > context free on merits and make a decision for themselves.  Well, after
>> > noting if they're still running Windows or not.  ;-)
>> >
>> > http://googlecloudplatform.blogspot.com/2014/06/an-
>> > update-on-container-support-on-google-cloud-platform.html
>> >
>> > sdw

>> --
>> greg at bolcer.org, http://bolcer.org, c: +1.714.928.5476

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.