[FoRK] Docker 1.0 was Re: OSX VMs/backup, Re: Dunning-Kruger effect discriminatory environs

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 11 10:57:39 PDT 2014

I deal with a lot of products.  Even though it's been trimmed, CA
Technologies has a huge portfolio of software, and it's a mix of
growing and stable products.

Top-down is great, but some of the older products really need to be
configured, often through a UI (instead of a scriptable API), by an
administrator.  Part of this is the general brain damage associated
with products built on top of Windows, of course.

We do have a product that competes with the top-down CMS products like
Ansible; part of that product's value is its ability to recognize
configuration changes in the registry, file system, database, etc. and
to automate those changes without the need for manual operations or
separate configuration scripts.   I'm not involved with that product
directly, but I will freely admit that there's definitely a
possibility that since we own an excellent hammer, I may be viewing
everything as nails.

I really think there's a cognitive gap here: based on practical
experience, especially with Windows, some administrators only want to
work with "known to be good" images even though  the more flexible,
powerful, and repeatable approach is to work with "known to be good"
recipes.  This may be due to the sheer complexity of creating recipes
when Windows and one or more commercial products are running together.

Ken

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:
> Works for a lot of products.  What is the nature of yours?
>
> Greg
>

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm intrigued.
>>
>> My team follows 12-Factor guidelines to deploy on Heroku production and
>> staging servers, as well as developer boxes. This has been a win. I see
>> Docker as a generalization of that kind of thinking.
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm skeptical. I run Linux, Windows, OSX both natively and virtually.  I
>> > believe commercial production software should be ran as close to the
>> target
>> > production native OS as possible.
>> >
>> > Greg

>> Docker
>> > are
>> > herd
>> something

>> > --
>> > greg at bolcer.org, http://bolcer.org, c: +1.714.928.5476
>>

> --
> greg at bolcer.org, http://bolcer.org, c: +1.714.928.5476

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.