[FoRK] Docker 1.0 was Re: OSX VMs/backup, Re: Dunning-Kruger effect discriminatory environs

aaron at bavariati.org aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Jun 11 15:43:38 PDT 2014

(from the peanut gallery...)
Was recently digging into Docker, and your linked article voices and
addresses many of the concerns I have, as a sysadmin who's been using
various trendy automation and deployment systems for well over a decade.
(Wow, is NAL/ZenWorks 20 years old now?)

The value I've seen in CMS has been in:
(a) Ensuring consistent & quick deploys (and from there, regular or
continuous deployment)
(b) Lending the advantages of code to sysadmin processes: code==docs,
many-eyes debugging, reuse of good components, version control
(c) Making sysadmin practice more transparent and accessible to devs

Docker sounds like a nice complement, as a deploy mechanism.

Docker will also enable orgs to let J. Random Coder just slap some
stuff together, cross fingers and deploy it to an arbitrary number of
production nodes.  This is not a bad thing, as it produces situations
that ensure me a salary.

(Back to migrating Chef cookbooks to Salt states.  Because
Python>>Ruby.)