[FoRK] Docker 1.0 was Re: OSX VMs/backup, Re: Dunning-Kruger effect discriminatory environs

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jun 12 05:03:34 PDT 2014

A container isn't a VM, even though it feels like it is.  Processes are running on the host OS natively. It is just an extension
of chroot: Certain system calls look at a certain table among a set of tables.  The "host" is just the default table.  I haven't
looked at the code for a long time, but I believe every involved system call already pays the tiny price to decide whether you
are the "host" or a container even for "native" process system calls.

In other words, containers are effectively free.  Additionally, as opposed to a VM, there is no emulation at all, no additional
copy of a kernel and kernel data, completely shared use of buffers, over subscription of memory, text images of processes
running in unrelated containers, etc.  All the benefits of running multiple processes on a Linux kernel with strict security and
logical separation of networking, process ID/etc. space, sockets, file systems (chroot), etc.

The main negative is that a process hogging CPU or memory can affect other containers in ways you can prevent more completely
with a VM.  However, there is a lot of existing practice managing this as all of the cheap web hosting has been done by
containers for a very long time.  The security issues were addressed long ago due to that severe test.  In running your own
services on containers, you can decide how to balance CPU cores, load, storage access, memory, etc.  You might put 20
lightweight / infrequent services on one machine and just 1 of a heavyweight system role on another.  And "machine" can be a raw
machine or a VM.

The power of Docker et al is being able to easily develop, build, and test system configurations more like
edit/compile/debugging for software.  We automate complex software builds for a reason. Finally we have that for system
configuration.  Since getting certain system administrators to document or knowledge share anything seems to be impossible, this
becomes invaluable fast.

Stephen