[FoRK] What3words -- convert lat,long into 3 English words

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Wed Jul 9 10:41:22 PDT 2014

The Open Geospatial Consortium just started work on standardizing discrete global grid systems, or at least capturing best practices. What3Words has been mentioned in those meetings as a canonical collection of bad practices. :-)

http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/groups/dggsswg

The best and/or most capable systems for compactly describing points or gridded regions of the Earth (I don’t see an example listed below) use a 3-space embedding of the Earth’s surface where each dimension of the 3-space maps 1:1 to the set of integers (i.e. countably infinite).  Points or cells (which same thing actually) can therefore be uniquely addressed by the common prefix (e.g. the first n bits) of an interval on a given space-filling curve, with some concept of a unit interval (e.g. 1-meter) being defined as binary fraction of the universe.

It isn’t materially different from numerous “geohashing”-like schemes in terms of turning a point on a surface into a compact descriptor. However, it is vastly superior from the standpoint of spatial indexing, analysis, or computational geometry using those descriptors.