[FoRK] Dima Korolev Google, Microsoft, Facebook, And Startups - Business Insider

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Aug 8 23:52:58 PDT 2014

The idiocy of AT&T (insisting on circuit switching rather than packet switching) created the concept of an open Internet.
The idiocy and pain inflicted by IBM, Microsoft, classic Unix companies, DEC, etc. created Linux, Google, and the resilient hack
that is open source.

Although it seems like we could have and should have avoided the 10-20 years of pain and delay those caused, it seems likely to
have been a much worse alternate reality.  AT&T and other phone companies could have had a commercial lock on packet
transmissions.  We might have been stuck with even worse and more expensive operating systems, etc.

Stephen