[FoRK] FoRK Digest, Vol 131, Issue 5

Dave Long dave.long at bluewin.ch
Sat Aug 9 15:11:57 PDT 2014

>> "With NT, Digital Equipment Corp. aims to become a leading PC
>> maker, Compaq Computer Corp. a workstation maker and American
>> Telephone & Telegraph Co.'s NCR a maker of inexpensive mainframe
>> substitutes."
>>
>> Bwah ha ha ha. And no mention of SGI, but same story, same result.

My D.C. anecdote: it was over twenty years ago today, that Hillis and
Steele taught me how to play data parallel.  With that in mind, and
being young, arrogant, and fresh from  the experience of working on
some small corner of (what had officially been, for about a day,
before TMC breezed past it again) A World's Fastest Machine, for some
reason I attempted to get into a pissing contest with Cutler at some
point, pointedly asking him what was up with some technical decision
(which I no longer recall at all) in WNT, as it certainly couldn't
scale.  His reply (which with the benefit of hindsight, and perhaps
some engineering maturity, I appreciate much more now): "Scale?  You
don't get it, do you?  I work for MSFT, so N is always well under 16."

-Dave