[FoRK] FoRK Digest, Vol 131, Issue 5

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Aug 10 06:32:11 PDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 09:25:11PM -0700, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Dave Long <dave.long at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
> > His reply (which with the benefit of hindsight, and perhaps some
> > engineering maturity, I appreciate much more now): "Scale?  You don't get
> > it, do you?  I work for MSFT, so N is always well under 16."
>

> ​And dammit, he was right. He's *still* right. And we (and Eugen) were
> wrong. Kind of pisses me off.

Wrong about what? Parallellism? 2014 is a massive fail that way allright.
Moore's over. You've got cloud stuff, you've got GPGPU but no
cluster-on-a-chip in your living room,  sure.

If Rift lands and 1440+p @ 120 fps becomes de rigeur I don't
see how you would do realtime physics with OpenCL alone.

On the other hand, we've got collapse going for us. Which is nice.