[FoRK] Super-Intelligent Humans Are Coming

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Oct 17 02:03:50 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:47:52AM -0700, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
> Hi Eugene,
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Oct 16, 2014, at 07:45, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> >
> > Super-Intelligent Humans Are Coming
>
> So what? In my experience, extra intelligence doesn't actually make for  better human beings. And another decade or two, superior intelligence won't be a particularly valuable survival skill any more than physical strength is now.

While Moore is obviously entering into saturation, and the race of collapse
with Singularity so far looks like collapse is winning by a fair margin, we
obviously can improve systems much faster than biological organisms (it takes
35+ years to create a borderline competent human being).

So once we go much beyond exascale and can image neurobiology at
molecular scale and combine that with in vivo total activity we
should start making progress.

What this means to humanity, and biology in general is quite obvious.