[FoRK] Super-Intelligent Humans Are Coming

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Fri Oct 17 06:57:00 PDT 2014

HI Eugen,

On Oct 17, 2014, at 2:03 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> While Moore is obviously entering into saturation, and the race of collapse
> with Singularity so far looks like collapse is winning by a fair margin, we
> obviously can improve systems much faster than biological organisms (it takes
> 35+ years to create a borderline competent human being).

That isn’t immediately obvious to me.  Improvement along which metrics?

Sure, I can teach arithmetic to a computer faster than I can teach it to a kid.

But is that the kind of improvement we need to prevent the collapse?

I would argue that what we need is not more intelligence, but better empathy, creativity, and values.

And while that is incredibly difficult to teach human beings, it is even more difficult to teach to [other] systems.

> So once we go much beyond exascale and can image neurobiology at
> molecular scale and combine that with in vivo total activity we
> should start making progress.

Again, progress along which dimension?

At The Swan Factory, we’re tackling that hard problem face on: how do we create institutions that leverage technology to help produce better human beings in a timescale of months, rather than decades?

And by “better”, we mean humans who have the skills, values, and humility to actually make the world a better place. Regardless of their intellectual capacities.

— Ernie P.