[FoRK] why we should stop using brain metaphors when we talk about computing

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Thu Nov 13 06:56:27 PST 2014

http://spectrum.ieee.org/robotics/artificial-intelligence/machinelearning-maestro-michael-jordan-on-the-delusions-of-big-data-and-other-huge-engineering-efforts/

The overeager adoption of big data is likely to result in catastrophes
of analysis comparable to a national epidemic of collapsing bridges.
Hardware designers creating chips based on the human brain are engaged
in a faith-based undertaking likely to prove a fool’s errand. Despite
recent claims to the contrary, we are no further along with computer
vision than we were with physics when Isaac Newton sat under his apple tree.