[FoRK] why we should stop using brain metaphors when we talk about computing

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Thu Nov 13 07:32:59 PST 2014

True -- based on my early days with the MIT extension course on Big
Data, things really haven't changed much from the "put the disposable
diapers near the beer cooler in the convenience store" sort of
correlations.  Which makes sense: "big" data is technologically
enabled by improvements in scale, but there have been relatively few
changes in the underlying analysis methods. (to be cynical)

Frankly, I'd love to be wrong about the previous sweeping
generalization.  Certainly "quantity has a quality all its own."

Ken

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:
> http://spectrum.ieee.org/robotics/artificial-intelligence/machinelearning-maestro-michael-jordan-on-the-delusions-of-big-data-and-other-huge-engineering-efforts/
>
> The overeager adoption of big data is likely to result in catastrophes of
> analysis comparable to a national epidemic of collapsing bridges. Hardware
> designers creating chips based on the human brain are engaged in a
> faith-based undertaking likely to prove a fool’s errand. Despite recent
> claims to the contrary, we are no further along with computer vision than we
> were with physics when Isaac Newton sat under his apple tree.
> --
> greg at bolcer.org, http://bolcer.org, c: +1.714.928.5476

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.