[FoRK] why we should stop using brain metaphors when we talk about computing

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Thu Nov 13 10:12:31 PST 2014

Hi all,

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 13, 2014, at 06:56, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:
>
> Hardware designers creating chips based on the human brain are engaged in a faith-based undertaking likely to prove a fool’s errand.

I agree. I'm always amused by how our software and hardware seems to be inspired by human language and brains, when we really have no idea how those actually produce useful results. :-)

> Despite recent claims to the contrary, we are no further along with computer vision than we were with physics when Isaac Newton sat under his apple tree.

I've actually been thinking a lot about what our Theory of Computation would be like if it had been invented by Isaac Newton instead of mathematicians...