[FoRK] New Benefits of Marriage Study Actually Hints at the Horrors of Middle Age

Owen Byrne ojbyrne at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 08:48:39 PST 2015

I thought you lived in the US.

"At least five large studies in recent years have found the United States
to be less mobile than comparable nations. A project led by Markus Jantti,
an economist at a Swedish university, found that 42 percent of American men
raised in the bottom fifth of incomes stay there as adults. That shows a
level of persistent disadvantage much higher than in Denmark (25 percent)
and Britain (30 percent) — a country famous for its class constraints.[19]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socio-economic_mobility_in_the_United_States#cite_note-19>

Meanwhile, just 8 percent of American men at the bottom rose to the top
fifth. That compares with 12 percent of the British and 14 percent of the
Danes.
Despite frequent references to the United States as a classless society,
about 62 percent of Americans (male and female) raised in the top fifth of
incomes stay in the top two-fifths, according to research by the Economic
Mobility Project of the Pew Charitable Trusts. Similarly, 65 percent born
in the bottom fifth stay in the bottom two-fifths."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socio-economic_mobility_in_the_United_States