[FoRK] New Benefits of Marriage Study Actually Hints at the Horrors of Middle Age

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 09:13:26 PST 2015

On January 23, 2015 at 8:31:15 AM, Stephen D. Williams (sdw at lig.net) wrote:
Whether that is a problem that you think needs addressed depends on whether you think the world is strictly competitive, whether you
feel indirectly enriched or diminished by it, and similar philosophical motivations. We'll take it as a given that you care for
your own children and family. Do you care about other people's children and people in general as an extended family? Do you feel
any responsibility to them?
sdw, I think you have two mutually exclusive points here. One is about whether the world is strictly competitive, so that mutual enrichment is impossible. The other is about helping others without benefit to yourself.